Thursday, November 02, 2006

Season Treason

...I knew I would love that phrase the moment I saw it.

So, it's two days after Halloween, and the holiday bombardment has begun. Yesterday evening's TV viewing was an explosion of Christmas-themed advertising--one senses the excitement of the retailers knowing that Halloween was finally over and they could release commercial after commercial after commercial overflowing with holiday cheer. That said, I have already had my fill of Brian the Big Lots Spokeself, and if those commercials are going to be crammed down my throat from now until Thanksgiving (when the voting for Big Lots Spokeself will, mercifully, conclude), I'm going to be precious short on Christmas cheer.

Don't get me wrong. I like Christmas as much as anyone. Really. I like the food, I like the carols, I like the family gatherings, the tree... but not until after Thanksgiving. Just as some people prefer that the food on their plates not touch, I prefer not to mix my holidays.

Of course, I am well aware that I'm fighting a losing battle. Still... wouldn't it be nice to reserve Christmas for, say, December?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home