Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Reflections on the Season

First of all, I wouldn't say that I have a favorite season. They each have something to recommend them, which is why I prefer to live in a place where all four seasons exist as distinct entities, as opposed to the South (i.e., the Virginia suburbs of DC), where summer and winter exist, but spring and especially fall are sad parodies of their true selves. I remember walking from my Arlington apartment to Georgetown on my way to class and crossing the Key Bridge. The Potomac sparkled below, and the lampposts on the bridge were decked out for the holidays with wreaths and ribbons. It was December. I was wearing short sleeves. This happened a lot.

Now that I'm back in Providence, I'm enjoying the transition from summer to fall. Every morning, there are a few more yellow leaves on the trees and sidewalks, and the oranges and reds are slowly becoming apparent. As I said before, I don't have a favorite season, but there's something about those late fall days when the sky is gray and the sun is going down late in the afternoon, and the branches of the trees are mostly bare, and the yellow leaves on the ground are slick from a light rain, and the streetlights are on. Even the fact that two more Christmas-themed catalogs arrived today can't damped my enthusiasm.

Happy Fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home