Friday, October 27, 2006

At Least I'm Not The Only One

The holiday marketing season is beginning to gear up in earnest, to the point that last weekend I saw a holiday-themed commercial--what to get your pet for Christmas. (Answer: little portable stairs to assist elderly/obese animals in climbing up on the sofa or the bed.)

There is, however, evidence that others are as disturbed by the trend as I am. In this article (unrelated to the holidays until the very end), we see a term I wish I had thought of: season treason.

As soon as Halloween is over, Madison Avenue will turn its full attention to another, even more important shopping season: Christmas.

In recent years, retailers and other advertisers have committed what Mr. Smith at Yankelovich described as "season treason" — moving up the starting date for holiday campaigns from the day after Thanksgiving to the day after Halloween.

Now that’s scary.


Scary, indeed.

On the other hand, I worry that I may be a hypocrite. You see, I have contributed to the rushing of the winter season through my purchase of a six-pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager. It is not Christmas-themed per se, but the pale blue and white label, not to mention the very name "Winter Lager," is far more suited to the winter months--snow and ice, and bare branches, not the autumnal colors we see around us now. Should I not have stayed with the Octoberfest, if I wanted a seasonal beer? I fear that I have, in my own small way, given the local liquor store an incentive to continue stocking seasonal beers ahead of the seasons they represent.

Oh well. At this rate, Sam Adams Summer Ale should be available by April at the latest, and I do like the Summer Ale....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home