Wednesday, October 18, 2006

In Which I Complain About The Weather

Well, I guess we're due for another post.

It's currently at least 70 degrees outside. Due to the recent (seasonal, thank you very much) cool weather, it's a bit better inside, but that's not the point. The point is that I've been outside today, and I should not be fantasizing about shorts and sandals in the middle of October. It is, quite simply, hot outside. This is not right. If anything, mid-October should see snow flurries and frosts--I mean, if we're going to be unseasonable, we should err on the side of colder, rather than warmer.

As warm-blooded creatures, humans are better adapted to stand extremes of cold than of heat. And as a practical matter, it's better to be cold than hot, because when you're cold, you can always put on another layer. When you're hot, there's only so much you can take off before the neighbors call the cops.

There's also a certain satisfaction to cold weather. When it's cold outside, you can look forward to coming in and having something hot to drink, or putting on nice soft slippers, or sitting in front of a fire. Winter food is more satisfying--stews, roasted meats, fresh-baked bread....

Clearly the solution is for me to continue moving north. I should look into reindeer herding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home